When I started my current job at the end of July 2009 I was hired on a temporary contract. I was desperately applying to any job that paid more than unemployment and not getting calls back about jobs I was way overqualified for and feeling all depressed. So when a recruiter called me about the opportunity I jumped at it. Being shy, new jobs suck (especially with everyone in my department being SO outgoing!!) and it was tough at first but as time went on I was so happy there and grateful when they decided to hire me permanently.
Today was our health plan fair thing and it left me thinking about last year's. At that time, I had just been permanently hired, and the fair was a few days before my official start date. I don't know how it goes at a normal office but here at our enrollment fair there's a raffle you can enter if you get some info filled out: body fat %, weight, waist, cholesterol that kind of thing. And I was so embarrassed about it that day. I just wanted my free Met Life Snoopy (Husbandcake has a thing for Snoopy!) and to go back upstairs. This year was totally different and it's made me reflect on how far I've come.
In the past year, I have:
- lost 41 pounds. Forty-one.
- realized that I can function as well as anyone else at a "real" job
- learned how to change lanes on the freeway
- had more encouragement and support than I've known what to do with.
- shrunk my waist by 12 inches
- worn "heels" 3 times - and yes anything over a half inch counts
- grown a thicker skin...and I know that's relative as I'm the most over sensitive person alive but I'm a teensy bit better anyway!
- gotten an average of 48 mpg in my Prius (better than advertised, I'm AWESOME!)
- started eating healthier food
- bought and worn pants for the first time in years
- won a weight loss competition in my office
- skipped cake on other peoples' birthdays 400 times...maybe not that many but it feels like I've overcome a lot cake-wise!
- become a tiny bit more outgoing...
- been inspired to find all of you beautiful people to help me along the way
I'm so happy that I'm here. Everyone even coworkers know that I'm already ready to retire, I wouldn't lie about that. I've been saving up and I know I'll never be the type to work my whole life - but as jobs come and go this one has been great, I wouldn't be as happy anywhere else and I was reminded of that today. I also happened to have a moment to recall any of the things I dislike about my job today, it has its down sides and its negative aspects. It was nice at the end of that though to realize it was my work-iversary and overall my life is better today than it was November 9, 2009. SO much better.
And as cheesy as it sounds I hope that all of you are happier and better today than you were a year ago :) I'd love to hear about your progress too!
Anyway I wanted to share that and also even though yesterday was so busy I didn't post I did weigh in at 184.3 - a tenth of a pound down. So I'm not losing a lot but STILL LOSING and still working hard!!